Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide extensive legal support for the low-income residents of Ottawa as well as community development and organizing, law reform, legal education and outreach services.
We are seeking two legal clinic caseworkers with legal advocacy and community development experience. The successful candidates will represent clients in income security benefits cases and housing matters for tenants; and will participate in community initiatives related to these fields.
We are offering contracts for one year for both positions with the possibility of extension.
- Provide legal advice and represent clients at administrative tribunals in income security benefits matters and housing law for tenants
- Work closely with staff teams in managing and conducting cases
- Attend at the Landlord and Tenant Board to provide duty counsel services to tenants
Community Development and Organizing, Law Reform, Public Legal Education and Outreach
- Conduct and support community development and organizing activities
- Participate in law reform initiatives, public legal presentations, lobbying, policy advocacy and media work
- Collaborate with our staff teams, partner organizations and community groups
Qualifications and Experience
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario or significant legal experience
- 1-2 years of advocacy experience for vulnerable individuals
- 1-2 years of community development experience with equity-seeking groups
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and working for change for vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work collaboratively
- Strong ability to handle multiple priorities and work in a high-volume environment
- Ability to supervise students in casework and other initiatives
- Capacity to work in French is strongly preferred
- Other assets would include:
- Experience representing clients in income security benefits matters and residential tenancy law
- Experience in media relations, outreach, lobbying, event organizing or stakeholder engagement
- Fluency in other languages spoken by our clients
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 27th at 5:00 p.m.
Salary is commensurate with the legal clinic’s pay ranges. Compensation includes a generous health benefits plan and RRSP contributions.
Please send a cover letter and resumé by email to email@example.com:
Caroline Harris-McDonald, Director of Legal Services
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa
1301, chemin Richmond Road
Ottawa, ON K2B 7Y4
We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people living with disabilities and from other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. All information relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.