We are seeking an articling student for the 2023-2024 term
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide extensive legal support for the low-income residents of Ottawa as well as law reform, community development, and legal education services.
We are seeking an articling student for the 2023-2024 term. The successful candidate will work with our practice teams in the areas of housing, immigration, and public benefits.
- Working under the direct supervision of lawyers in our three areas of practice
- Providing legal advice during intake appointments up to 5 days/week
- Providing research and drafting support to caseworkers
- Attending the Landlord and Tenant Board to provide duty counsel services to tenants
- Representing tenants at their Landlord and Tenant Board hearings
- Contributing to public legal education, community development, and law reform initiatives as needed
- Collaborating with our staff teams, partner organizations and community groups
Qualifications and Experience
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice for vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- An ability to handle multiple priorities and a high volume of work
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
- An ability to assist individuals with high needs and complex circumstances
- Bilingualism is an asset
Application Deadline: Tuesday, May 30th at 5:00 p.m.
Salary is $35,000 annually, prorated to the 10-month articling term.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Clarisse Titus, Executive Director
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa
406-1355 Bank Street
Ottawa, ON K1H 8K7
We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people living with disabilities, the LGBTQ2S+ community, and from other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. All information relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.