We are seeking a full-time lawyer or paralegal
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa is a community legal clinic, funded by Legal Aid Ontario. We provide legal services for the low-income residents of Ottawa, as well as community development, organizing, law reform and legal education initiatives.
We are seeking a full-time lawyer or paralegal. The successful candidate will represent clients in housing and income support legal issues and collaborate on community-based legal initiatives.
- Provide legal advice and represent clients in housing and income support matters
- Work closely with our staff teams
- Provide duty counsel services for tenants at the Landlord and Tenant Board
- Participate in law reform matters, public presentations, lobbying, policy advocacy and media work
- Community initiatives with partner organizations
Qualifications and Experience
- Lawyer or paralegal with Law Society of Ontario license in good standing
- 1-2 years of advocacy experience for vulnerable individuals
- Community development experience
- Capacity to work in French is strongly preferred. Fluency in other languages spoken by our clients is an important asset
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and working for change for vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work collaboratively
- Strong ability to handle multiple priorities in a high-volume environment
- Ability to supervise students
Application Deadline: February 17, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
The salary range is $69,000 to $78,500 commensurate with training and experience. Compensation includes a generous health benefits plan and RRSP contributions.
Please send a cover letter and resumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Caroline Harris-McDonald, Director of Legal Services
Community Legal Services of Ottawa / Services juridiques communautaires d’Ottawa
1299 Richmond Road
Ottawa, ON K2B 7Y4
We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people living with disabilities and other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. All information relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially. We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.