CLSO is seeking applications for a Canada Summer Jobs Legal Advocate – Caseworker
Community Legal Services of Ottawa is seeking applicants for legal advocate/caseworker positions at our offices located at 1355 Bank Street, Suite 406 and 1299 Richmond Road.
To be eligible, you must be:
- between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
About the Student Caseworker Position:
- 8-week contract from June 7th to July 30, 2021 (tentative date)
- Compensation is $18/hour for 35 hours/week.
- Anticipated Work Tasks include assisting caseworkers with ODSP and Housing cases by completing case-law research; assisting with intake; conducting phone interviews; drafting submissions; assisting with the organization of community development, law reform, and public legal education initiatives.
- Working knowledge of French, Arabic or Somali and experience in a legal clinic or advocacy environment would be assets.
- This position is well-suited for law students who have completed at least one year of law school.
Important Points to Note:
- During the COVID pandemic, the Legal Advocate must be able to work both remotely AND in-person, if necessary, and comply with social distancing and other requirements set by CLSO. This position will require the Legal Advocate to work at least in part, if not fully, from home (remotely) using their own personal electronic devices.
- Interview dates are anticipated to take place end of May.
How to Apply:
- Send a Cover Letter and Resumé in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 18, 2021, at 4:30 PM.
We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people living with disabilities and other historically disadvantaged groups. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We will provide accommodation during the hiring process upon request. All information relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants but we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.